01 January 2015

31 Day Yoga Project: Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana

Two challenges in one month?

Yes. I have officially lost my mind.

One of my go-to places on the web if I have questions about most things yoga related is Yoga by Candace. The videos she does on YouTube are easy to follow and the info she posts on her website/blog on various poses, sequences, etc. are extremely helpful.

So I was really excited when she posted that during the month of January, she was hosting a 31 day yoga project and this months "theme" is Strength. As she puts it on her blog:

That's right people, we are looking to get strong. Why? 
For so many reasons. Let me count the ways. 
building strength may help to prevent injury
building core strength may alleviate minor back pain and sciatica
building upper body and core strength may improve your posture
building strength may burn fat, if you're looking to tone up
building strength may fuel the progress in our practice

Here is the Deal:
--Pick one strength pose to work on: As much as I'd like to dive right in and try to master baby grasshopper, I'm not sure that is wise. Instead I'll be working on Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana or Standing Big Toe Yoga pose. Seems simple, right? But oh how I wish it was! It's a favorite pose of the instructor who teaches the yoga class I take on Sundays and dammit if I don't always have to hold onto the wall OR put my foot on a ledge every stinkin' time we do it.
--Make a Plan: Thankfully this is going to be the easiest part of the whole thing! I've already committed to myself to practice yoga daily, so this won't be to hard to do! I just need to find sequences that will help build my core strength and work on my flexibility and plan on practicing for 30-60 mins 5 times a week. The other two days will be gentle flow.

I'm really looking forward to taking on this "project" and using it as a way to really focus on my strength and flexibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment