16 December 2014

Zombies, Run!

To be honest, the whole zombie/end of the world genre thing is getting a little tired.

Don't get me wrong......I love a good Walking Dead marathon, but it seems like zombies and zombie themed things are taking over.

The irony in that statement is definitely not lost on me. But I digress.

When I am working out at the gym, I find it a lot easier to "zone out" and not worry about how much time has gone by, how many more minutes I have left in a workout (treadmill or elliptical), how far I've gone, etc. But running outside is a whole other story. I'm constantly checking my time, looking to see how far I've ran (I run for distance, not time, while in the great outdoors) and trying to sweet talk myself into pushing ahead. The inability to "get lost" like I do at the gym can be frustrating, no matter how good I am feeling, how well the run is going or how awesome my tunes are.

In an attempt to make my runs a little more interesting, I downloaded the Zombies, Run! app for my iPhone.

Holy fun times, Batman!

Here's a little blurb about the app from the website:
You are Runner 5. Hundreds of lives are counting on you. You've got to help your base rebuild from the ruins of civilization by collecting critical supplies while avoiding roving zombie hordes. Can you save them and learn the truth about the zombie apocalypse?

Essentially, each mission is about 30ish minutes and alternates between the storyline and your tunes. And should you choose, you can enable the game to initiate random "zombie chases" to help kick your runs into a little higher gear.

I will admit that the first "zombie chase" I encountered was a little creepy (I live in a small town, run in the woods, I think you get the jist) but was I reminded myself the zombie sounds I was hearing were in my headphones, it was so much fun!

Knowing that these "chases" could occur at any time, the app has really helped me keep a steady pace and not overdo it too quickly so that when I do need to "outrun the zombies" I'm able to do so without too much issue. It's also been just what I need to shift my focus away from my run too much which has been brilliant.

Do you have a favorite app to help keep you motivated while on a run?

No comments:

Post a Comment